Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 288-16k removing screen

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Barossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,
    i would like to remove the metallic screen of my 288-16k driver.
    Is there anything i should pay attention to?

    Is it neccesary to remove the screen?
    It should improve the HF response...

    Greetings Barossi

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Barossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 13th, 2004
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    nobody??

    Greetings Barossi

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    Where is the screen in the 288-K?
    If it's right at the gasket interface, it's easy.
    If it's in the throat, you will have to break it ian pull it out with needle nose pliers.

    I have done this on the small format drivers, and to my ears anyway, the sound is much better. HF is extended.

    Others will likely disagree.

    Ron

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member vuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24th, 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    True-the sound is better without screens.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't have the answer, but I hate to see a member left hanging (hmmm, maybe I should rephrase that....)

    My logic says leave 'em alone, because;

    All Altec HF drivers have them, not just the ones likely to be used outdoors.
    All published performance data was taken with screens in place.
    Since wavelength shortens with rising frequency, the claims of extended response when screens are removed don't hold water. If the screens were attenuating the output, the low end of response would be affected, not the high.
    Removal is permanent.

    Until I see test data proving otherwise, my screens will stay where Altec put them. I fail to see the logic behind most so-called improvements to classic gear that was designed by folks with far more knowledge than most of us, and after doing extensive research instead of fleeting speculation.

    The devices we consider classics became so because they excelled, not because they needed to be improved.

    Bet you'll get some responses now.......

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For anyone willing to do the math;

    Transparency Index (TI) given by the following formula:

    TI = nd2/ta2 = 0.04 P/1rta2

    where:

    n = number of perforations per sq in;
    d = perforation diameter (in);
    t = sheet thickness (in);
    a = shortest distance between holes (in);
    a = b - d, where b = on-center hole spacing (in);
    p = percent (not fractional) open area of sheet.

    The formula is valid for either straight or staggered perforations. An approximation for the value of a, when you do not know the value of b, is:

    a = d[(const./P1/2) -1]

    The value of the constant is 9.5 for staggered and 8.9 for straight perforations.

    Further analysis continues at;

    http://www.iperf.org/ac14.htm

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've had many Altec and JBL compression drivers, some with screens and some without and I'm damned if I ever heard a difference I'd attribute to removed bugscreens.

    Same thing goes for Alnico and ferrite.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't believe they sound worse without them.
    The only reason they put them in there was to
    prevent "bugs" from getting in there. They didn't call em "attenuator" screens. I had this conversation with GPA and they had no issue with their removal at all. I have seen some of these screens that are extremely corroded or dirtied up...whatever the correct phrase is and in that case you would be wise to remove them. But if you do, be vigilant to the fact that things are free to crawl or float in there..just my 2 cents...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.